Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aquarium Plant FAQ - For Newbies .. With Pictures!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aquarium Plant FAQ - For Newbies .. With Pictures!!!!

first thing is remove the tabs or what you can of them. do a water change.
    DIYFishkeepers.com, bringing the world together one tank at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Swords are huge nutrient sponges, I highly doubt you're overdosing ferts. I overdose severely on ferts every week, and then I reset it on waterchange day and go at it again.

Leave the root tabs in. Give them a chance to work. The good thing about root tabs is they dissolve slowly and are designed to provide a continuous supply of nutrients.

It could be a nitrogen or iron deficiency, if you could post a picture it would help a lot.

The only part I agree with what Robert says is to do a waterchange.. lol

(Robert, it seems you and I tend to disagree on everything plants)

She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, well I happen to like our little disagreements. I've learned a lot about plants because of them.

Now that we're at it, wouldn't those tabs release those elements? And doesn't the substrate include them?

Post Thanks / Like

i tried as best a i could my camera is only the one on the ipod touch.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.. Those are pretty blurry pictures! I still stick by what I said, and I think it's likely a Nitrogen deficiency.

To answer your question Robert, he stated he has only had the root tabs in for a few days. Also they are designed to slowly provide nutrients over a long period of time. While a planted substrate also helps, it's more suited for trace elements etc than actual fertilizing.

Here is a pretty good chart to follow for deficiencies. It won't let me keep it as an image.. So you'll have to clicky

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 9054_n.jpg
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

I know what he said, Carrie. I was asking you a question about them, not trying to make a point. I was just asking if the substrate or the tabs have those elements you mentioned, because I don't know. Never used tabs except for ponds, so i was just wondering about the tabs made for aquariums.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even know what's in the tabs. Most of them just advertise "essential nutrients, etc". Although like everything else, every brand is probably a bit different.

I am going to assume trace elements such as iron etc... Probably calcium as well among other things.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

Great information and thank you very much.

Went to a market in Bangkok yesterday and I was amazed at some of the planted aquariums I saw and plants. I was wishing some one was with me that could explain the plants to me and and the process for careing for them. This got me thinking about some other possabilities. My granddaughter 18 months old got excited about seeing all the plants in the aquariums not to forget the fish and I must admit I reaally like the planted aqauriums as well.

I am still in a decesion modes I would like a few simple answers. If it is decided to try some plants and I have no idea what kind, how many or even any of the names.

How does planted aquariums, CO2 and fertilisers affect the water conditions?

My PH is already out the roof very hard 8.0

Some time back I was reading that planted aquariums needed x for lights depending on size of the aqaurium. I forgot any of the information I read or were to find the info.

Besides this is the best place for questions and learning.

Should the aquarium have an open top or closed top does it matter and why? All the planted aquariums I have ever seen did not have any covers? Nothing but a light or a 6 ft onion growing out of it or bamboo and lots of green plants. Had to throw that in. LOL

Basicaly aquarium 48 in x 20 in x 20 in.

I cannot attach a light from the sealing.

What type of light would be needed or recomended for a beginner. what about the bracket that holds the light. Should it reflect the light? What are some good brands. Do LED Lights work for planted aquariums?

I am planning on Discus. More I read, I may change my mind on the Discus. Basicaly because of PH 8.0 to 8.3, the food they have available in Thailand. Blood worms and more blood worms and Blood worms. Hole in the head. It is extremley difficult to find a Discus in Thailand has not been injected with Hormones. Stunted and bulging eyes or worse.

I have read discus do not like bright lights it kinda hurts there eyes. have read you should turn on your room lights first and let there eyes adjust before turning on the tank lights. Sorry I got off the subject at hand. If I decide to go with the Discus to much light is a concern for me.

My other question is CO2. How do you know when enough CO2 is enough?

That is a start any way and I do hope I dont drive you crazy with all the questions..

Thank You for the replies.
    85 Gallon BB Aquarium Discus Only

Have A Great Day

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention the aquariums I saw in Bangkok were various length most of the were 40 inches long x 18 in wide by 14 or 16 in tall. The water returns, hook up for the co2 and bubble counters were clear tubes and such. Looked aqua scaped. Number of suppliers and a few shops had them for display only and would sell you the tanks and hardware for the set ups. The tanks had rounded corners they were 3 piece aquariums made from 12 mm acrilic. Tweesers, small scissors, rakes and so on. I wish I would have had a camera with me. I am sure this is not for a beginner.

Some of the plants were red colored or had autumn colors, various sizes of leafs. Of course plenty of green plants in the mix. Green short grass looking in the front. They all looked like they had been given manicures.

A number of shops with these displays.
    85 Gallon BB Aquarium Discus Only

Have A Great Day

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I have been working with my planted tank for about 6 months, so I do not have that much experience but I have found the following plants to be great starters (if you can get them):

Echinodorus bleheri (bleherae)
    Limnophila sessiliflora
    Vallisneria americana (natans)
    Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica'
    Microsorum pteropus
    Cryptocoryne parva

When I first started I had no CO2 or fertilisers and the plants slowly melted away, I started adding Seachem Flourish Excel which has made a big difference. I have since added more plants and noticed that the fish were gasping for air in the mornings due to the plants stealing all the oxygen when the lights go off, I added an Air Pump which runs over night and this seems to of helped. The only thing with that is my plants seem to of slowed, I have just ordered the parts needed to create a DIY CO2 kit (will document its build) and hopefully this will help. My PH has always been 8.0 and I have heard adding CO2 to your tank can lower your PH (is this right) so I will keeping an eye on that once the Co2 is added.

I use this calculator for my CO2 and also guides you which levels are best:
    http://www.fishfriend.com/aquarium_co2_calculator.html

Hope this help answer some of your questions?

Post Thanks / Like

hey carrie nice tank there sista, you are doing somthing right exp with your iron levels for the red plants, im new to c02 and just bought a nice second hand dupla setup for my 200 gallon but i want to know if i can go low light if i keep my co2 at minimal levels ? couse i dont want to run my hallides for 8hrs and havt to trim the plants back every week

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. For the red plants I actually find that dosing less nitrate less often (ie: a lower level of nitrate) really makes them pop. However, sufficient iron levels are definitely necessary.

CO2 can be introduced to any aquarium - low light, high light, what have you. I'm actually technically considered low light - since I'm only running 54 watts on a 55 gallon. However, that is 54 watts of T5HO light.. So I'm going to say it's more in the "medium range".

I have looked at your tank and a lot of the stuff you have in there are slow growers - so I wouldn't be so concerned about growth. The most important thing when introducing CO2 is a steady/even level of it in the tank.

I have my lights on a timer to go off in the middle of the day for a few hours (when Im not here) so that I can keep my tank lights on longer in the evenings.

She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

what is the easyest plant to grow in a tank that roots down
    i realy only have 2 inch rocks covering my bottom
    any sugestions
    Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

If you ask me what the easiest plant in the entire world is to keep (that I've experienced, anyway) It's crypt wendtii. Both the green and red varieties have worked really well for me, I have some growing in every tank.

Anubias and java fern would probably also like your tank, since they don't like to be buried in fine substrate.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

So how is the best way to grow Anubias? It should not be planted?

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience it prefers to be on driftwood, or wedged between rocks like in my bowfront.

Mind you, it works just fine planted in most cases as well.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

want to know a true story which scared the crap out of me my filter died on me and i was not home for all most a week and my plants toke care of my tank with no filter all fish alive
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by axolotl1435
    want to know a true story which scared the crap out of me my filter died on me and i was not home for all most a week and my plants toke care of my tank with no filter all fish alive
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    !!!!!! You lucky so and so !! You must have a healthy Click here to enlarge to Click here to enlargelant: ratio :P)
    Fish are friends. Not food !

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by loco2manis
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by axolotl1435
    !!!!!! You lucky so and so !! You must have a healthy Click here to enlarge to Click here to enlargelant: ratio :P)

No little Click here to enlargelant: thingyo huh ? That's just plantist ;p)

Post Thanks / Like

Carrie I have a quicky for you, If I removed the fish from my tank and left on the lights for 24 hours would they if the needed nutes and co2 was in abundance photosynthesis for the whole period ? I know in terrestrial plants this is the case (some any way).

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Carrie was just gonna ask you if my Anubis i just bought would be good on driftwood and you already replied to it to someone else! Thanks, One more quick one I just bought Anachoris it says it can float would it be good on drift wood? Wanted to get some plants in my tanks to help with nitrate think these are fast growing and low-med light gonna make the DIY co2 had a question on the yeast to buy I have 2 kinds at the store one for bread and on called dry active yeast which do I use? Thanks again for a great read and lovely pictures. I will get pictures up as soon as I download my phone to comp. =^)

Cult

Post Thanks / Like

Carrie may be of a different opinion than me but then if you have ever read our chats with each other you would recognize that as normal.

I have found in my experience that anacharis is one of those plants that can be classified as very flexible in it's use. It can either be allowed to float or planted, I have however never tried to get it to grow on driftwood, perhaps she has some experience with that. It can and will be a very fast growing plants if all the elements are right for it though most of my experience has been in ponds and not aquariums. I will say this for it though, my water got extemely cloudy at one point and the anacharist that I had anchored to the bottom was still growing until it broke the surface in places. fortunately my koi kept it under control.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like the yeast for breadmakers. I find it works faster or something.

anarcharis is unkilliable. Do with it what you will, it's quite a hardy plant. I have anchored "floating" plants before such as hornwort with success.

She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

so im very new to the whole planted idea, but really love the way Aqua scaped tanks look so here are my questions

i have an empty 25 gallon tank, what do i need to make it pretty?
    substrate?
    plants?
    fish?
    filters?
    lights?
    air pumps?
    CO2?

i really prefer the DIY approach cause i like making stuff and also would like to keep the start up cost under $200
    then finally where should i put it? i would like it out on my deck with the rest of my aquariums but am afraid it might get too much sun.

thank you for all the input, this site is amazing. i wish i found it before i started my 200 gallon pond
    It is so much easier to get forgiveness, then it will ever be to get permission!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure I could google my questions but your tank is beautiful so I'd just rather ask and look stupid. Lol SO here we go..
    I have a 30 gallon tall hexagon tank with Mollies, Platies, and Guppies. I have been adding plants for the look and for plenty of hiding places for the fry. The fish are all doing well and my plants are growing nicely.

So.. How do you know when you should start adding CO2? (I would assume when they aren't growing like they should and/or start to "wither" away.)
    Is there such thing as too many plants with my fish?
    Out of curiousity, how long did it take you to get your tank so established?

I love how mine looks but like I said, BEAUTIFUL!
    10 gal, 30, 40, two 55s, and 125 all in my bedroom =]
    From community, breeding, cichlids, gar, pacu, to hermit crabs.

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Akire11
    I'm sure I could google my questions but your tank is beautiful so I'd just rather ask and look stupid. Lol SO here we go..
    I have a 30 gallon tall hexagon tank with Mollies, Platies, and Guppies. I have been adding plants for the look and for plenty of hiding places for the fry. The fish are all doing well and my plants are growing nicely.

So.. How do you know when you should start adding CO2? (I would assume when they aren't growing like they should and/or start to "wither" away.)
    Is there such thing as too many plants with my fish?
    Out of curiousity, how long did it take you to get your tank so established?

I love how mine looks but like I said, BEAUTIFUL!
    I just put 6 Parrot Feather plants in my 30 gallon long, and I put the DIY CO2 system on it, don't think I rally need it as I have 7 fish in the tank and 3 of them are 5" gold fish, so I'm sure i have lots of CO2 in the tank anyways but I plan on putting in some Java furn and one other type in there as well. I use 2 2L bottles and a 1L for the collection bottle, I use 4 cups of water and 4 cups of sugar per bottle with 1 teaspoon of yeast between the 2 bottles and 1 teaspoon of baking soda in each bottle seems to be working good for me think I can get about 3-4 weeks out of it.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much just added CO2. I use pressurized, can't be bothered with the mess of DIY. Been there, done that and the cats just had a field day knocking over the pop bottle. Bad kitties.

You can get a drop checker and monitor levels.. They're about 10 bucks and worth it until you get the hang of it and get a rhythm going. You can start CO2 right away.. I re did my tank when I started it, Co2 isn't going to hurt anything as long as it's kept in the appropriate range. I've never had an issue anyway just plugging it in. I've tore the tank apart a few times and loaded up on Co2 with relatively few plants and watched the plants explode.

As far as established - I'm not quite sure what you mean. The tank has been running for 4 years now or so, but I just heavily planted it about a year ago.. It took me a few weeks to work out the kinks (algae blooms, etc) but once I got it under control and found that 'sweet spot' everything came together pretty quick. Co2 makes stuff grow quite quickly, before I did heavily planted it was just casually planted with no Co2 and it took much longer to achieve desired results. Mind you, it did happen - it just took a lot more time, patience, and hair pulling. Co2 really simplified everything for me.

And there's never too many plants... Here are some pictures of my tank when it needed a clipping. Obviously, the issue is when you get overcrowded plants get fussy and ticked off and start dropping leaves and being brats. They like their water flow and nutriets/Co2. I try to keep them happy but I do get lazy on occasion and see how wild it can get.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Most current pic... it's a little naked since I had to cut it back, but it's coming along.

Click here to enlarge
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

I guess established wasn't the best choice of wording there. I more so meant how long did it take to get everything the way you wanted, how long for the plants to fill out like that, and whatnot.. etc.. but you answered my question regardless. =] I might have to try the CO2 whenever the puppy gets out of his teething stage. Anything in reach goes straight into his mouth! How often do you have to trim everything up? Beautiful pictures btw.
    10 gal, 30, 40, two 55s, and 125 all in my bedroom =]
    From community, breeding, cichlids, gar, pacu, to hermit crabs.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a trimmer.. I believe in TRIMMING.. lol

I trim weekly at least - not all plants need to be trimmed weekly but in order to keep everything green and happy you really need to keep up with it, especially in a higher light tank. The higher than light/co2/nutrients the more maintenance required.

Some plants I cut quite a bit off weekly (hygros, etc.. fast growers) whilst other plants it's literally a couple of leaves. It also depends on how you want the plants to grow.. Plants don't "grow" perfect, you need to trim them and shape them else they just kind of grow everywhere.

It took a few months before I was happy with the growth of my plants, however I started out with clippings.. You could go spend a lot of money on full size plants and have a pretty much instant beautiful tank (other than a slight melt/adjustment for a few weeks while they get settled) but I was too cheap for that and there's something about growing an entire plant from a few leaves that is satisfying to me.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed

Post Thanks / Like

Planted newbie (and by newbie, i mean never attempted this before) here, what would you say the easiest plants to grow would be?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast